Friday, December 2, 2011

The Gift of a Book

Do you give them? Do you put them on your list?

I attended a birthday celebration a few months ago and as my friend opened her gifts we began to notice a trend. The first gift was a handmade necklace - given by a girl who makes jewelry, a real jewelry hound. The second gift was something like a calendar or organizer - given by a girl who is well known for her type-A highly organized nature. (this makes me jealous, by the way) The next gift was from me, a book. And everyone said, well of course! Jenn gives her a book.

We give what we like to get, don't we? To me, there is nothing sweeter than a book given with special thought for my tastes. Someone who knows me well can pick a story I will love, and it means so much that they would put thought into choosing one especially for me.

A book is not just a thing to set on your coffee table. (especially those e-books!) It's an adventure, an escape, a process, a ride, a friendship (or two), a heartbreak, a victory, true love. It's a mirror for life which can sometimes reveal truth about yourself that you wouldn't recognize outside of fiction.

However, I know there are people in this world who will pick up a wrapped book and think to themselves, "Great. It's a book." And this reaction before they even know which book! So lately I've tried to put myself in the place of the person for whom I am buying a gift. If I know you read, I'll probably still give you a book. Because I love giving them.

Are you giving books this Christmas? If so, which ones? If you love giving books, check out this great opportunity:

 

http://www.writeintegrity.blogspot.com/p/99-hour-99-cent-e-book-sale-win-e-books.html

No comments:

Post a Comment