Thursday, February 17, 2011

What do you want?


What do you want from a book? I'm talking about those books that you cannot put down and you will not forget when you've finished them.

Do you just want to escape to another place? Or are there certain things you expect from a novel?

When I close a great book after reading the last page, I always take my time and I usually sit there, holding the book, remembering. It’s almost like waving goodbye to friends and watching the car drive away until I cannot see it anymore.

One book stands out to me in this regard. Taking Liberties by Diana Norman really stuck with me. I actually missed the main characters after I put the book down. I want a book that leaves me wanting more, like when I eat a cookie that was delicious but too small.

Another must-have take away for me is something that grabs my mind. If I find either a surprise, or an interesting philosophical question or an idea that’s new to me, I will remember the book forever.

Lastly, it must be gripping. I must need to keep reading.

What elements do you look for in a great read?

4 comments:

  1. I'm all about characters...I think that's why my books are character driven...something I'm working on. I love when a character pulls me in and I just want to know whats going to happen next. I love feeling the good times, the heart break, the lessons learned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when I wonder what's happening to the characters in the book I'm reading while I'm at work, or eating dinner, or brushing my teeth. A book that's so real you forget the people are imaginary. One of the reasons I love books in a series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the cookie analogy:) I like a read that leaves me wanting more.

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you, Sarah! I love taking characters with me wherever I go throughout the day. Who said imaginary friends aren't real?

    ReplyDelete