Wednesday, November 17, 2010

What Can a Character do to you?

Do you have a favorite character? Have you ever read a character you wished you could become? The first character that struck me like that was Sarah Crew in A Little Princess. I think I was 10. Her unique ability to escape her difficult life into a world of fantasy via storytelling helped almost every girl around her. She didn't let adversity change who she was. It’s a riches to rags to riches story. Who can resist the allure of Cinderella in any form? Frances Hodgson Burnett remained my favorite authoress for most of my childhood.

Then I discovered Josephine March in Little Women, created (of course!) by Louisa May Alcott. When I closed that book I swore I’d name my first child Josephine and call her Jo. Funny how time and husbands change those sorts of ideas . . . But Jo’s confidence and her triumphs made me think I could do anything. And she made me want to write. And she gave me the guts to cut my hair short too. 

Can a fictional character make us better people in the real world? Click on the comments below and tell me what you think . . . 

More character talk next time.

2 comments:

  1. At the risk of becoming a serial commenter, I will share with you something you do NOT know about me, but something that is likely not surprising. My first and most compelling character from my youth was Harriet the Spy. She was so adventurous, brave, curious and crafty. I loved her wily ways! And this may shed some light into why I was always, always looking through our family's stuff as a kid. it was like a side-job for me :) It also, however, made me want to be a writer. These two things have totally manifested themselves in me as an adult: I love research (I can find anything!) and I make a living reading and writing. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. please, please become a serial commenter, Harriet! :-) You are right - it does shed some light on your side-job :-). I love it.

    ReplyDelete